Monday, August 20, 2012

Hong Kong Stopover

34,000 feet above sea level and over the Himalayas and into the heart of the great Eurasian continent, we are finally on our way to the International Geographic Olympiad in Cologne. It is amazing to think just over 48 hours ago I was in Lower Hutt and in the past two days I have managed to cross from one hemisphere to another and to skip a season straight into the fiery depths of summer.

We arrived in Hong Kong early yesterday morning – or what seemed like a lifetime ago as what we've experienced could not be confined to day or night. What really shocked me when we arrived in Hong Kong was the contrast between the synthetic cool temperature of the 1 out of 500 shopping malls and the raw humid heat in the streets of Hong Kong. We went Yum Cha, prayed for good luck at the traditional Wong Tai Sin Temple, watched the Symphony of Lights in Hong Kong Harbour and rode the star ferry and topped the day off with a visit to the Peak.

But what was most impressive was the amount of shopping we managed to do in less than 24 hours. Honestly, our day consisted of going in and out of shops, in and out of the heat, hunting for a bargain beyond the typical tourist traps usually suggested by travel guides. Thanks to my Aunt Irene I was able to buy inexpensive shoes and clothes and the treasure of my shopping excursion – a $130 suit found in the industrial areas of Kwun Tong. What was most exciting was when haggled and got abused in the street markets of Mong Kok by over enthusiastic vendors. This was a truly unforgettable experience.

However, this has only been a pit stop. We are less than five hours away from our anticipated destination – Cologne! My only worry now is the weight of my luggage and I'm sure I speak not only for myself (Although mine is the heaviest, for now).

Sidney

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you are all having a heap of fun. Enjoy the challenges to come. Scott's Mum, Dad and brother

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice to hear from you .... Scott will have to be our next blog presenter!

    ReplyDelete